Lewisboro Real Estate
Lewisboro is a town in Northern Westchester and is divided into three hamlets, South Salem, Cross River and Goldens Bridge. The town was created in 1747 and known as the “Town of Salem.” In 1806, it was renamed South Salem and then in 1840 it was renamed for a financier, John Lewis, who in turn created a fund for the town.
The town was largely a farming community and when the railroad arrived many farmers began to produce milk for shipment to New York City. There was also a large shoe making industry in the town, many farmers created these during the winter months for extra money. The arrival of the railroad also brought commuters and wealthy New York City residents seeking a weekend or season retreat.
Two famous historical residents of the town were the Sarah Bishop and the Leatherman.
During the Revolutionary War, around 1780, Sarah Bishop, a young woman in her 20s appeared in the area. She made her home in a cave in what is now Mountain Lakes Camp in North Salem. Sarah was known as the “Hermitess of the Salems.” Her wanderings brought her all throughout Upper and Lower Salem as well as Ridgefield. She would visit certain houses, do housework, accept food offerings but never at the table and would partake in Bible readings or prayer with the host family. It is believed that she originally came from Long Island. She was known to keep several dresses made of silk in a house in South Salem so she could attend religious services at the South Salem Presbyterian Church in a presentable fashion. Huntsmen who came across her cave stated that she cultivated vegetables and fruits. It is believed she passed away in 1810 during the winter.
The Leatherman appeared in the area around 1860. He would travel from farm to farm in clothes made of leather, and indicated through incomprehensible mumbling that he was hungry. He never spoke although historians speculate that he was French. He made his rounds throughout the area for over 25 years. His circuitous route brought him as far as Waterbury to Norwalk and through New Canaan and Wilton. Historians believe it took him a month to travel this route of 365 miles. He lived in rock shelters or “leatherman caves” (there is one at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation.) He was a popular character, arrived at the same time each month and people would have food ready for him. In 1879, ten towns in Connecticut passed ordinances that exempted him from the state’s “tramp law.”
The population of Lewisboro in 2009 was 12,500.